5m vertical multiband GP antenna
An 80 meter multiturn magnetic loop
Computer controlled Mobira RC25
Telcom TE-157 - remove the beep
Questions, comments? Type them here!
OR email to:
This was my first ham radio project. I just had passed the radioamateur exam and went to a local navy radioamateur club (OH1AJ) where they had this bazaar for old radio gear & stuff. I suddenly ran to many familiar faces there and had good suggestion about what my first modification project could be. Suddenly I had an Mobira MD59, old NMT in my armpit and payed only few euros from it, happy happy!
There was a plenty collection of guides how to modify this radio on the internet, especially at moppeakatemia, thanks guys! I did the modifications and the rig worked pretty well. Basically, the modifications needed for 70cm operation are just making a new TX/RX switch, which in my case is a Pin-diode switch, reprogramming the eprom and retuning the radio.
I just realized that I don't like the looks of the radio. I'm a ham operator, not a NMT450 hobbyist who chats with his mates through this ugly looking phone-like device. So, I had to do a small facelift for it. I took the electronics out from the handset and started to design. I had few possible enclosure boxes laying around and I decided to use one of them. Because the original enclosure was plastic too, I dared to select plastic box for the new enclosure.